Friday, May 14, 2010

There is something more to life than, water bottles!!!!!

48 degree temperature, 2’o clock in the afternoon, the sun is scorching, blazing and the heat is anything but bearable.

There is a tall multi-storey building being built at one of the prime locations of Ahmedabad. In that locality there is an office where a friend goes to work.

On one afternoon when he was going to the office, he saw a boy. The boy was barely 6 to 7 years old. The boy was carrying water for her mother who was working as a labour in the building that was being constructed.

My friend thought that it was too much of a load for the kid to carry two big water bottles at a time, hence he tried to help him saying “let me take one for you” the boy started crying. It was only later that my friend realized that the boy was crying because usually people used to snatch away the water bottles brought by the kid.

He further noticed that people even did not allow that boy to use a lift. So much courteous behaviour towards a kid in a compound of such corporate area!!!!

He could not stand this; he took the boy assuring him that he would safely take him up to his mom. He went into the lift. Some people scorned at him for bringing in a dirty looking kid in their neat lift. Nobody spoke anything though, while getting out, my friend broke the silence “he should know that there is something more to life than just saving one’s water bottles from goons”!!!

[1] Based on a true story, shared by a friend working as a tax consultant at big firm

5 comments:

Swati Jain said...

Oh Very touching Yaar..

Evn I hv some incident to share. My house maid was bringing her 5-6years old daughter for work alongwith her. She used to say that she wl do half d work n I wl do rest half. But strictly said No.

The maid continued this for 2-3 days n I dnt let her daughter so the work. I made her undertnd tht it z her age to study n not to do work at homes. Now she does not bring her to our home but I m sure that little poor girl must be going elsewhre.

I think the maid does not hv much options also. Bcz first, she is a widow with 4 daughters n 1 3-4 yr old son N 2nd she said that we will in JJ's so it z not safe to leave gals there whn I m at work.

Why God is so Merciless 4 some?

dhruv said...

Swati, it feels proud to be in touch with ppl like u... I agree that whatever step we take, or difference we make, will always be insufficient to eradicate the problem fully.. (read my- post "who solves problem anyway" if u get time) but at the same time its important to take small steps in direction we know is right....the question u asked in last line is unsettling and disturbing at times but I hope with ppl like u around, we will some day get the answer...

Swati Jain said...

It z proud 4 me too to be friends wd people like u. I think Every1 has a soft corner like dz deep inside themselves . The only prb is tht the lives r so busy tht hardly ny1 recognize their dz side. ALso bcz people like us r generally nt easily acceptable thts y people hide their dz side.

But I guess if v wl initiate , we can actually mk people realise abt dz n World wl becum a better plce to live in.

Unknown said...

Hi..there is no need to hide such feelings...bt let them be shared with people around u...coz others will also realize that there is more to life, than only themselves.

I will share one incident...My family had a maid working for us long time back.She had a daughter who came with her and wasted her time. My family asked the maid to get her daughter admitted to school. Bt being unaware of the importance of education, she denied it.

Next day, her daughter ws admitted to school by my family members-paid fees for books, uniform, bag etc. The maid ws strictly told not to discontinue the studies of her daughter. In case the daughter suffered any problem with her studies, my mom and my aunt used to help her in all means. Even after some years, when maid shifted to some other area and stopped working at our house, my family made sure that her daughter should continue with her studies.

Still now after so many years have passed, that maid revers my family for taking the initiative for educating her daughter.

So its important to take initiative in the best spirit. People don't change unless provided with viable solutions.

Let us always work to make this world a better happy place to live, while co-existing in harmony.

"It does not matter how much you live, but it does matter how much life you live in those years."

Swati Jain said...

@ Namar : Gud thought..I like ur views..

This proves tht r many people like dz , jus acknowledgement is required