Saturday, May 1, 2010

An afterthought on relationships...... some time back this was a note in my diary, I indeed was not wrong!!

On my recent trip I met a lot of my friends telling me that they were now “committed”. This made me feel odd at first. “I always thought you were focused more on career” was the reaction from me when one of my friends came to meet me with his (girl) friend. He gave me a stern look for this one!

Honestly speaking I was wonderstruck to find some of my friends all of a sudden declaring so big news that too with such high speed! At the same time I also felt a little ashamed at being agonizingly slow in that race to relationships!!!!

On my bus trip to my hometown Bhavnagar, from Ahmedabad, I brooded over this issue a little, just to ensure if I was the only one to be the last among all the runners. To my distress, I was certainly alone. Not only was I alone, people whom I wrote off as dumb and un-cool, also were ahead of me!!!! I felt a jolt. Little while later, a thought dawned onto me.

Why not being in a relationship is taken to be as a stigmatic or shameful thing? Like many other things, relationships are also possessions. Some have it, some may not have it. I felt the whole issue of being committed is slightly overrated.

While I agree that finding a match for oneself is certainly a sign of social guts and that an achievement of it is certainly something one would like to share with/ express to the entire world. However I believe that such a communication should never be a driving force of any relationship.

If it is, than that relationship is nothing more than a marketing gimmick, of a very cheap kind!!!!

4 comments:

saurabh said...

i totally agree bro, 9 out 10 relationships are a gimmick, and dis whole thing is overrated, i mean who falls in love at first sight, which is d way most relationships begin today.. :P

saurabh said...

i came across a very gud line on love from d movie before sunrise, it goes like- "love is an escape for two people who don't know how to be alone"

Book Marker said...

Boy...this is what i call overtly psychoanalysis of life...Marketing hona chahiye .... To tell what you really are in a nice way is marketing and telling the fake things and pretending to be some one you actually are not is gimmick,,,later is fatal fr relationship as well as the individual and the former is a way of life ....so better accept it in common parlance we call it wooing some one more than marketing it is...

shashank said...

good analysis.....but it lacks newness....i've a lot to say on this topc but i ud save it for our discussion........