Monday, July 27, 2015

What a sky catch can do to a struggling cricketer

When you are having a season which is below average, as a cricketer it becomes very annoying as well as depressing fact of life. Having played as a number-3 batsman in all the teams I represented from school to junior level states; to have more than 10 games in succession with a highest score of just 17 not out was a troubling thing. Not only could I not score as freely as I would have liked, my role in the team also slumped to someone who was just a blocking guy, used as a shield to play out the opposition bowling searing through the top order as and when such a need arose.

Selection in top eleven depended not on my batting skills but on the fact that I was also a useful bowler who could bowl six balls at one place without conceding any extras. I bowled first change consistently and took a couple of wickets invariably. However, I wasn’t a go-to man for my captain in case of crisis situation. With someone who relies more on variations in length rather than great pace, I wasn’t a first choice if the opposition batsmen were chancing their arms successfully at anything.  

There was a constant battle going in the mind, various theories of why it is not working out were advanced, debated and refuted. The fact that grass in Colorado grounds is thicker than any other grounds I had played; did seem comforting on the face of it– however deep in heart, I knew it wasn’t the outfield that had the issue.
And then in the last innings that I played, amid falling wickets at the other end, when I was still there at the crease blocking – struggling to get the drives past the covers and cuts through the point – I saw a ray of hope. May be that was to be the innings that would resurrect the lost form; prove that class was indeed permanent and I did have it; free me from the self-doubt that inflicts every sportsman going through the slump. At mid innings break we had lost more than half the side, and I told myself to stay there and grind it out.

The first ball I faced after the break – I did the most horrible thing possible. I guided one to the slip; fancying a chance with an upper cut. Walking back was heart wrenching, picturing the dismissal was not helping; but there was no way to avoid it either! Why, o’why did I try to be cheeky; did not I know the fact that it was a shot to be played when one was in good touch only? Did not I know the fact that bowler was too slow and maximum I might have got from that shot – even if it cleared slip – was just one run?   It was a cricketing synonym for suicide – as if I was giving fielding practice to the opposition team.

After that dismissal, I thought to myself if I would really consider myself a batsman. Not long ago, in India I had hit pace bowlers for sixes over the top of their heads. Not long ago, square cut used to be a shot that was sure to yield a four whenever width was on offer. Not long ago, I was an active batsman always busy on crease and playing freely, scoring runs and having shots to cherish from every innings that I played. Thoughts of past glory did not subside the present misery; they only exaggerated it!

While going for another game this Saturday, I told my team-mate that I needed one good innings before the end of the season. With just 4-5 games to go; and the current form of the team, as well as myself; it looked very remote possibility. A dreadful thought lurked in mind, if I will be transformed as a bowler forever!! Or if I had already!!

In that particular game, I did not get a chance to bat and bowled just one over that cost 9 runs to the team. It was a close game and demanded complete intensity; on field. I was fielding at long off and thinking to myself if there was any light at the end of this dark runless tunnel. The opposition needed 30 in last 4 overs and in walked their most explosive batsman. On the first ball he walked across the stump and lifted it over the short fine leg for a boundary.

We knew that the only way to win was to get that player out before it was too late. The captain called me in from long off and asked me to go to short fine leg.  Looking at his stroke-making he thought there would be a chance of a skier at short fine leg and trusted me to take it.
Usually when one is out of sync with game, fielding is an aspect that reveals it the most. Fumbles become regular and sky catches become nightmares. How one fields is a great sign of one’s connect with game!

On the next ball; batsman again hoiked one more time – bowler being the tallest guy in our team ball went only up in the distance and not far. It was exactly between me and the man standing at midwicket; “mine” shouted I while running towards the square leg umpire.  
High as it was, it gave ample amount of time to position under the ball nicely and put my hands up in anticipation. Hard as one’s hands are usually when not in regular practice – it bounced off once; however composed judgment, position and calmness ensured that I gathered it easily on second attempt without any panic.

That catch was the only saving grace from that game; however it did something wonderful to me. Those who play cricket, know it enough that when you take skiers comfortably and confidently you are at peace and joy with the game! It rekindled the kinship with the sport I love!
It was joyous realization that even when runs were dried, connect with cricket remained vivacious, active and joyous!!

Hopefully runs will follow too!




No comments: