Sunday, June 24, 2012

Death of Silence


Electricity supply was gone; sun had just gone down from a heavy day’s duty, workers who were busy in renovating the walls of the room next to mine also halted their work for a while. I shut the lid of the laptop and sat quietly. At that point I realized that I had been missing a forgotten friend, silence.

In bustling routines I hardly hold on and listen to the silence. The ears are all the time occupied, mostly with music, sometimes with lecturer’s eloquence, friends gossiping, carpenter or construction workers working, vehicles racing, people in flats quarrelling or just any other sound in usual. Somehow in all these hustle bustle the silence got sidelined. Got lost.

Not only had the silence got sidelined, but also the things that usually accompanied it, slowly recede and fade away from life.  

I often think that thus sidelined; silence wants to tell me so much. It wants to answer all the questions that I have been busy finding answers to. However I have hardly let her voice reach me.
Is it that I assume her to be too dumb to be of any value through her opinions and answers…?
Or
Is it that I think the words of my silence are too, outwardly and not really applicable or relevant to the regular life that I have been so comfortable with?
Or
Is it that I have knowingly killed her, out of my fear that it may ask me some question which I can’t answer.
Or even tell me a thing or two about myself that I am afraid of listening to?
Have I really killed my silence, cold bloodedly?
We will have to wait for silence to tell us that, too…….

No comments: