Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dil se Delhi Man se Mumbai

“You don’t engage in Delhi-Mumbai argument as vigorously as others from Delhi do!!” said one of my friend’s friends. For a moment, I felt ashamed for not having rooted for Delhi, in an argument as to which of the two is a better city to live in.

Just as I was about to tell her how pathetic I found the locals, that I do not understand why people are so crazy about that Wada-Pau, that I do not like to sweat so much, that I don’t see any greatness in running around like mad for entire day and night, that I hate pronunciation of “RE” at every possible place in the sentence etc etc……. my Mumbaikar (Mumbaiya) friend chipped in, “he’s not a Delhite, he is a Gujju.”

This is the first time I felt as if a part of my being was torn away. Something very personal to me was snatched away. I had spent two years in Delhi, and really loved the place a lot. I thought myself very much as a Delhite.

Gulping this feeling, I came back home. However this little encounter made me think about the question which is a root to many heated debates, which is a better city? Delhi or Bombay?

Personally speaking, I miss Delhi. I know the reason for this is largely because of the fact that life there was surrounded by great friends and college was also great fun. Bombay on the other hand is another field. Here the people I interact with are mostly my colleagues. Friendships may develop over the time but “usme woh baat kahaan?” feeling will always be there for these colleague-friends.

In addition to fond memories, Delhi also ranks ahead in terms of the public transport. “Delhi Metro Rocks, Mumbai local sucks” was a message I sent one day to one of my friends while travelling here in locals. Arguments can be made for the kind of load that Locals take each day, but believe me efficiency can never be a substitute of discipline and good ambience. Delhi also feels lot more spacious as compared to Bombay. For those who relish space, there is no better place than Delhi.

If reading this much makes you think I am trying to be an ardent Delhite, hold your horses. Despite its all seemingly unpleasant characteristics, I find Mumbai too quite cool. One of the most important thing, different from Delhi, is that this city is run by market power and not political power!! Everything is so easily accessible and available, at its price. This fact is as risky as it is wonderful. Bombay is brimming with opportunities; there is something here for everyone. Another aspect where it ranks ahead of Delhi is overall safety of citizens. The city makes one feel at ease, at home.

Bombay and Delhi, the two biggest cities of our nation are indeed different, reasons I like them are also different. However one strand of similarity can be found from the fact that both these cities is the fact that both gives one an opportunity to meet people from entire country, entire world perhaps. And this challenging fact makes life so very interesting!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Superb, i have always thought that whether it is delhi Mumbai or any other city, there is always somethin good or bad. Loved it :-)

dhruv said...

thanks Sau...... ur comment is truly valid, but we are not so objective and tend to like one more over the other due to personal biases......

Swati Jain said...

Just like your reviews f Novels, ur writing style is great.. I loved this post.. I hv nvr stayed in any other city for long tym except Delhi , so for me Delhi is the best n i luv it..Not looking 4 ny other option ..

Ya u r ryt , v get d opportunity to meet all kinds f people here ..

Well written post..

Writersmelon said...

Good one !

aakruti said...

Ur caption for the post has captured everything..!! I like it..